Ever wanted your unique platform where you can scream aloud and boast about your favorite team? Or maybe you seek a way to explain a point and educate people on something, probably they don’t know? Well, the good news is, you can do that with a blog!
Yes, this guide will clear your doubts and help you start your awesome sports blog. You don’t need to worry about that anymore.
You will indeed have a platform to yourself where you can tell the world what you love. If you’re so passionate about sports, you can start your blog.
Whether it’s about football, tennis, hockey, basketball, golf, wrestling, etc., your blog is the home for your sports info.You can blog about virtually anything you find interesting, as long as it’s focused and in a particular niche. Sports blogging is fun, and you never have to run out of ideas. Click To Tweet
A lot happens in the world of sports every day. So, your blog could be about sports news, player reviews, team background, stadiums, etc. Wherever you find yourself, you can start your blog and grow.
With your blog, you have the opportunity to share your passion and connect with top influencers in your field.
Not only that, but you will also have various options to make money from blogging. So, you’re not just having fun but making money also!
Many persons think sports blogging is confined to a particular gender, age, or race. Truth it, anyone can start a sports blog. You can write about your favorite game or activity, as long as it is beneficial to the public.
No one would love to waste time on an irrelevant piece.
So, you just need to have basic knowledge about the activity of your choice. You may not need to know about all the games in the world. Focus on one, and you’re good to go!
So, it’s time to get your blog running. Keep reading and take note of the steps to help you work on your blog. Don’t forget to save this page, just if you may need it sometime in the future.
How to Start your Sports Blog
If you wish to go on with blogging, you should own a blog: your online platform to easily share your opinions with a greater audience.
If you don’t know how to start and run your sports blog correctly, it may seem too complicated and boring.
There are, however, both free and paid platforms. As much as the free ones are FOC, I suggest you invest in a paid platform.
Free platforms lack so many features, and you don’t even have full report rights to your content.
So many persons run away from blogging because of the fear of facing numerous difficult tasks. If you want to become a sports blogger, you don’t need to be afraid. (You’re reading this!)
The truth is, blogging is now made easier. You don’t necessarily need to become a programmer or web designer, and you don’t need to hire one either. You can do it yourself.
With this wonderful guide, you will become the newest sports blogger in cyberspace!
Let’s go through the steps:
- Find a sports niche
- Launch your blog
- Create valuable content
- Generate traffic
- Monetize your sports blog
Find a Sports Niche
It is very tasking and challenging to write on everything you know about games and athletics.
Finding your sports niche will help you stay focused. Talking about football, hockey, jerseys, etc., is very tasking and will only make your blog look like a “dump site” for exercises like these.
You can’t exhaust all the ideas in a single blog. This is another reason why you need to be specific in the sports industry.
You won’t succeed as a generalist, and you will gradually lose your audience because you’re practically “everyone’s blogger!” Worse still, you won’t be taken seriously.
Also, you will not be able to concentrate without a niche, as you will be flooded with a plethora of content ideas that will end up making your blog look untidy.
Your readers will become confused, and you won’t know how to structure your content: because you’re not focused.
This is why you need to have a niche. A niche a specified area where you dominate. It is where you have your full rights and authority. In your niche, you have full details of whatever content you create.
So, do you want to locate your niche in the world of sports? Don’t worry; we got you covered. Use these helpful tips to guide you, when choosing a niche for your blog.
- Passion, interest, and skills: if you don’t like the screams, shouts, and excitement that comes with a particular sporting activity, then you’re not fit to become a sports blogger. This is the same as finding a niche, even in the world of games and events.
Your passion drives you towards your goal, and if you ever feel like giving up, you are stirred up again. Find out what you love most. Also, look out for your interest. You will have a joyful blogging experience when you start with what you’re interested in.
If you start with something you’re not passionate about, it will be tough to stay focused and have an end goal. Blogging is a long-term activity, and you wouldn’t want to stop halfway, would you? Never!
You will also need the necessary skills to be able to handle your blog properly. Without these skills, you may spend so much and not be able to recover them quickly.
- Market demand: it will be so painful to start blogging about a particular aspect of sports events and have no one to follow you (they probably don’t need it!).
Doing a market analysis will help you find out what your potential audience needs and how you can solve their problems.
This is one important thing to note before carving out a niche for your blog. The market demand for your niche will help you generate the right audience and create valuable content around it.
Without market research, you may create the right content but will have no one to make use of them.
- Competition: this is an essential point to note while locating your desired niche. You are not the only sports blogger in the world.
There are so many other bloggers like you, too. Knowing this will help you structure your content to be able to stand out and beat the competition.
Blogging about a competitive niche will require much effort to stand out. It may take more time before you can be seen and heard. A less competitive niche, however, may not take that long.Knowing the competition will help you understand what to blog about; you need to stand out! Click To Tweet
It’s not that difficult to locate a profitable niche for your sports blog. These tips will help you out.
If you’re still struggling to locate a niche, don’t worry; keep trying so many things. You will surely get the right-click, with time.
Below, I listed six major sports categories as stated by the National Curriculum for Physical Education. They’re still broad, and you will need to find a sub-niche within each category. They include:
6 Sports Niche to Help Start your Sports Blog
- Games: this can be further subdivided into three parts: invasion games—football, hockey, basketball, rugby; net games—tennis, badminton, squash, volleyball; striking games—cricket, baseball, softball, rounders. Within each of these sub-niches, you can choose one and start your blog.
- Athletics: in athletics, the aim is to reward the strongest, highest, and fastest. Examples include swimming, weight lifting, sprinting, high and long jumps, pole vault, etc.
- Gymnastics: the mode of operation in this niche is set in the quality or replication of movement. The judge’s record stats and the best performance wins. Examples include trampolining, high board diving, horse, etc.
- Dance: this too, is a sporting activity that involves movement of the body to a particular rhythm. It is a bit different from gymnastics. Examples include a ballroom, ballet, folk dancing, etc.
- Outdoor: just as the name implies, it is done outdoors. It could be adventurous or just in an open space. Examples include climbing, mountaineering, hiking, sailing, canoeing, surfing, etc.
- Others: the world of sports is so broad and there are so many which may not fall into any of the categories listed above. However, here are some of them: golf, archery, bowl, boxing, karate, fencing, etc.
Knowing the best niche to suit your blog is dependent on the three factors stated earlier. Without considering the factors, you will have less pleasurable blogging experience.
Take your time to find out the best niche for your blog. Once you’re through with that, you can head over to the next step.
Launch your Blog
For you to successfully share whatever you have you will need a platform to share it. You can’t blog about sports just anywhere. Launching your sports blog will make you share your insights, easily.
It’s very good to start with social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., but these platforms are owned by various individuals and you don’t have full rights over your content.
If you solely depend on them, you might lose them someday, when the policy changes or you go against the terms.
This is the same for free blogging platforms (e.g. website.wordpress.com or website.wix.com). These sites look unprofessional and annoyingly long.If you’re going to be very intentional about blogging, you truly need to upgrade to a paid plan and have your blog hosted. Click To Tweet
With your platform, your audience will be able to access whatever content you wish to share.
Check out these steps to help you launch your platform:
- Choose a domain name: a domain name is your blog name (e.g. bloggerlifeline.com). With your domain name, you’re easily known. It is your identity. It’s what people have at heart when they think of your brand.
For your domain name, you need something that is easy and simple. Don’t bore your audience with ambiguous words that will make them run away.
Sportshub.com is a lot easier than fansofXYZsportsclub.com. Would you do that? Here are tips for choosing a domain name:
- Must be unique
- Easy to spell
- Must be catchy
- Not too ambiguous
- Not more than 3 words
- Avoid using numbers or hyphens
- Must be related to your niche
If you’re still finding it difficult, it’s fine. It’s not al that easy to get a name for a blog. Just gather specific keywords and come up with something unique or you can as well, use a blog name generator whenever you get stuck.
- Choose a hosting service: with a web hosting service, you house your blog and give it a “home” on cyberspace. Your web hosting service is a site server that has the ability to power your site and probably solve certain problems that may arise with continued usage.
For a perfect hosting service, I prefer Bluehost. They are affordable, easy to set up, and have amazing customer service. Also, you get a free domain name when you register with Bluehost.
For Hosting: I Recommend Bluehost
- Install WordPress: this is your main platform and with Bluehost too, WordPress is automatically installed for you! Set up your account and add a suitable theme to improve your blog appearance. You can as well, install essential plugins to add functionality to your blog.
These processes might sound vague. Don’t worry. We got you covered. Check out this post on how to start a blog. You will learn the step-by-step procedures about everything techy!
Create Valuable Content
As a sports blogger, this is the most crucial aspect of your blog. Without content, your blog is empty and has no value.
For you to generate traffic and become known, you should craft valuable content to help you scale through.Your content is food for your blog. This is why you should invest highly in content generation. Of course, what is your blog without content? Click To Tweet
Your content says to your audience, “Hey! Take this, my updates are exciting!” With this, you will be seen as an authority in your field. For your blog to grow you need attractive, compelling, and valuable content.
You can use various forms of content for your sports blog:
- Texts: you can use written texts to easily share your ideas. This way, you write whatever story, strategy, tip, experience, etc., you wish to share. Take note of the words you use and avoid ambiguous words. Connect with your audience and make them easily understand your point.
- Pictures: aside from written content, you can as well, use pictures (infographics), to state your message. While using pictures, make them sharp and easy to understand. Avoid blurry pictures. It’s a turn-off.
- Videos: using videos too, is a great way to connect better with your audience. Have a good camera and record your events (content). Your message can be easily understood.
- Audios: audios too work! Share your stories and explain in details, whatever you wish to share. Say it out loud!
You can use one or a combination of all forms of content. Whichever way, try as much as possible to make sure your audience understands your message.
If you can’t create content for your blog, you can as well, hire a content writer to structure your blog.
Blogging is a heavy task and if you don’t organize your content, you will get overwhelmed. You don’t need to rush it. Take your time and ensure that you come out with the best.
Your sports blog is not meant for you alone—not even for your friends alone too. It is a global blog. For you to succeed, you will need to have a great audience. It will make you seen and heard.
This is why you need to invest highly in traffic generation. You will need to make your blog go “viral.” Would you love to write and talk about exciting sports stories and have no one read or hear them? I’d rather not.
So how can you generate traffic to your blog?
- SEO practices — SEO means Search Engine Optimization. While creating content, you will have to optimize your content for search engines. Do keyword research and know what visitors are continually seeking. You don’t need to be an SEO expert. You need basic knowledge. Check out my post on SEO tips. You will be able to get your blog post to be seen by visitors.
- Social media — you may not be able to rank high on search engines due to the competition. This is why you need to have various social media platforms. Whenever you make a post, share it on your handles, and attract your followers to your blog. It could either be on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. You may not necessarily have accounts on all the platforms; you just have to be consistent and know the right ones for sporting events.
- Join various groups: As a sports blogger, you need to join communities where people like you thrive.
Joining groups and organizations will help keep you updated. There, you can connect with fellow bloggers, share ideas, and seek better ways to grow. These groups can also help to keep you accountable.
- Organize events: you can as well, host events and various interviews on your blog. This will attract a lot of audiences, seeing that you have mastered your art. Sports events can be organized—physically or virtually—to boost visibility and increase your reach. You can host interviews, etc
- Guest posting: one other method of boosting your brand is through guest posting. Write for other blogs and show what you do. If the audience is attracted to you, they will follow you.
You just have to give out your best.
There are so many other ways to generate traffic to your sports blog. These, however, will help you get started!
Monetize Your Sports Blog
Would you spend time creating content and generating traffic, and let it go in vain?
Would you love to be rewarded for your efforts? Great! Then you have to seek for monetizing options.
You can blog for fun and forget everything about making money, but you can also make money while having fun!
There are so many ways to make money blogging. You will, however, have to note that it may take time before you receive your first $1. You just have to be consistent and put out your best.
You can monetize through the following means:
- Selling ads
- Sponsored posts
- Guest posting
- Affiliate marketing
- Selling digital products
- Hosting paid webinars, seminars, etc.
I have also given out a more detailed post on how to make money blogging. Check it out and explore amazing ways to monetize your personal finance blog!
You have successfully completed this amazing guide on how to start up your profitable sports blog!
Are you ready to become intentional and transform your passion to profit? Take this guide and follow all due process. Don’t rush it.Blogging requires consistency. Just keep giving out the great value and with time, you will be rewarded for it. Click To Tweet
Congrats! You’re now a sports blogger!
Do you like this? Don’t forget to share and let your friends know about this today. Confused in any way? Got any questions or suggestions? Use our ever-friendly comment section and I will gladly leave a reply.
Have you followed my blog? Do so now! Don’t miss out on any blogging tip.
Cheers to greatness!