What Qualifies You to be a News Blogger
Being a news provider or journalist is ideal for every growing society. Every day, individuals are constantly in search of “what’s new?” so many things happen daily, and it’s your job, as a news blogger, to pass this information to the hungry public.
To make this possible, you will need to start your news blog, where you will constantly keep your audience up to date. You will cover every major news in your area (and news niche).
In this guide, you will learn how to easily set up a profitable news blog, to boost your career as a journalist.
It’s very good to share your stories on various social media platforms. These platforms help to spread your news faster; however, you will need a basic platform — which you own and fully control — to place your content.
Starting a news blog is not as difficult as some pose. It’s something YOU can do. You don’t need to bother about hiring a web developer or programmer. You can now do it yourself!
One great benefit of starting a news blog is the fact that you have full control over what’s posted and how it’s run. You will also be seen as an expert in your field. In addition, you will have a lot of means of earning from your blog. So, even while sharing your stories, you can still make money!
Isn’t that amazing?
Check out one of the most popular news blogging site — BuzzSumo. Note how they make posts and organize their blog, to make it easy for their audience to access.
You may not grow so vast like that or blog in that niche. Just start out small and keep showing up strong. You will surely find your space, with time.
Steps on how to Start a News Blog
You probably love sharing what’s trending, and other major happenings in the society.
You also love giving out useful information to your audience and keeping them up to date.
Your news blog will help you do this. That is why I have come up with helpful tips to help you successfully start, grow, and finally make money from your news blog.
It’s easy but will definitely take time.
You don’t have to worry about anything. If you carefully follow all steps here, you will become just that successful news blogger!
Take a look at the steps and do well to take notes:
- Find your news niche
- Set up your blogging platform
- Make researches on the latest news
- Create content
- Generate enough traffic
- Monetize your news blog
- Find Your News Niche
Whether you’re a local or foreign news blogger, you should have an area, where you dominate. It is one thing to have an updated news blog, and another to know what’s being updated.
Of course, it’s possible to be a general news blogger. You might also have a passion for a specific area. This is where you need to start and build your blog.
Your niche is carved by certain factors:
- Passion, interest, and skills — it’s not just enough to know about a particular aspect in the news industry. Blogging is a long term activity, and if you don’t have the passion for it, you will soon wear out and lose interest.
Blogging will never be fun if you do it solely for profit-making; you need to have a “why.”
- Market demand — your news blog will be needed somewhere, by someone. For you to be a successful news blogger, you need to identify your target audience. You need people to read and consume your news.
It’s pointless blogging about Chinese teachers, in India.
Find out people, who will make use of your news. Speak their language and flow with them.
Give out the content they need and can understand.
If no one needs your news, maybe you should find another niche; you can’t be an entertainment news blogger and give your content to business news lovers.
- Competitors — while finding your news niche, it is very important for you to know your competitors. This will help you plan and devise brilliant blogging strategies.
If you’re blogging in a very competitive niche, you will have to be patient before you can be seen and heard. On the contrary, blogging in a less competitive niche will hasten your progress, if you follow due process.
Find out who your competitors are and know what to blog about.
Let’s take a look at some of the niches in the news industry; you might want to start out from any of them:
- Business & Finance — moving from exchange rates to local and foreign business organizations, the country’s budget, GDPs, etc., you will have to take note of certain changes in the business world.
Study competition between various business organizations and note the inflation and deflation rate of every area.
- Health — a news blogger in this niche, will be updated on everything related to the health sector. From the latest drug manufactured, to diseases, prevention, and information about certain health conditions.
If you’re blogging in this niche, you might as well, work with a health blogger, to help you get the necessary information, without misleading the public.
- Technology — the world is gradually going digital. You have to know “what’s new,” in the tech world.
Know the latest tech gadget and its use, those banned, improved, or in progress. Keep your audience updated on whatever happens in the tech industry. Whether it’s on vehicles, computers, smartphones, robots, etc., you’re a tech news blogger!
- Sports — from football, tennis, basketball, cricket, badminton, boxing, golf, what more? You should be familiar with the sports world.
Sports lovers will be eager to hear your next update, to know the next player who got signed in, sustained an injury, and so on. You don’t need to stay back. Get your sports news and share it!
- Entertainment — so many trends are brought to the fore on a daily basis. From art to music, drama, fashion, dance, various cultural displays, and so on, you have to keep your audience at the edges of their seats.
Give out the attractive and exciting news that will keep them longing for more. Get into the entertainment world and always be on the lookout on “what’s new.”
Have you found your desired niche? You can also look out for other news categories like education, lifestyle, science, current affairs, etc.
You could even be a general news blogger! Yes, it’s fine that way. You could give out the latest information on major happenings in the society, be it local or foreign; you’re the news blogger.
If you haven’t discovered your desired niche, don’t worry, it may take some time to actually know what you love and will perfectly do.
You will surely get there.
Now let’s go techy!
- Set up Your Blogging Platform
Just like I said earlier, it is okay to share your stories on various media platforms and be known there. But, if you’re really intentional about news blogging, and really want to start a career, then you need a news blog.
Surprisingly, you don’t have to bother yourself trying to find the best web designer or programmer. You can do it yourself!
I will show you how it’s done. Just follow keenly, and take notes. Be sure to put down your questions too, I will gladly leave an answer.
Your blog needs to have space online. There are free blogging platforms too, but they have very limited features and they cannot be “trusted.”
You need an area where you own and have full control. This is why you need to upgrade to a paid plan and have your own blog set up for you.
For your news blog, you will need the following:
- Web hosting — Being that your blog needs a space online, you will have to find a suitable hosting plan. Bluehost is one you should start with. They have cool features and if you want a fast reply to all your questions, they’re your sure bet. You can have a monthly, biannual, or yearly plan. Make your choice according to your budget.
- Domain name — This is your blog name (e.g. bloggerlifeline.com). As a news blogger, choose a name that is suitable and relates to your message. At this point, you don’t have to rush it. Take your time, look for a perfect name, and project it. A bad name will always cause a bad impression. If you’re struggling to get a name for your news blog, don’t worry, we got you covered. Try out this blog name generator, you might get beautiful ideas there.
- Install WordPress — one wonderful advantage of signing up with Bluehost is the fact that it installs WordPress for you! Amazing right? Also, WordPress comes with exciting themes, to help you get a beautiful look for your blog. Want to add functionality to your blog? Try out various plugins and see how fun your blogging experience can be!
See? Blogging isn’t that hard after all . . .
It’s okay if you’re still confused about this whole “techy stuff.” I have carefully explained everything you need to know about setting up your blogging platform. Check it out and see how to get your blog live.
- Make Researches on Latest News
As a news blogger, you need to be up to date. No one reads outdated news. No one will follow you if all you put out there is something “we all have seen.”
Your audience needs something fresh and exciting. This can only come when you’re an updated news blogger.News blogging is one of the tasking areas in the blogging world because you need to ALWAYS keep up with the trends. You need to know what’s happening in your industry. Click To Tweet
Get in touch with fellow news bloggers, visit places, take pictures and records, make sure you have the necessary tools, to about being stranded on a scene.
Follow other top news bloggers too, and major influencers in your industry to know “what’s new.”
It’s your news, share it!
- Create Content
Your news blog will never be relevant if it looks empty all day. After making numerous researches, you still have the task of gathering the information and putting them out for public viewing.
This is where you have to be very cautious because your audience will take everything news from you as true — because you’re a trusted brand. Once your information becomes false, you gradually lose your audience and your blog becomes scanty.
While writing your stories, be sure to use words that are familiar. You wouldn’t want your audience to place a dictionary beside them while reading your post, would you?
If there’s any need to use unfamiliar terms, be sure to explain the meaning, for easy reading. You have a great audience and you can’t tell if they’re educated or not. Just try to use simple words that will best project your information.
Also, you will need essential materials like a camera (or smartphone), pen and notepad, laptop, microphone, and every other tool needed for recording events and happenings around you.
Your content could come in the following forms:
- Texts — your news could come in written form, where you explain in detail, the past, present, or probably, future. It should be simple and well-detailed.
- Pictures — some news can’t be explained using words alone. Take pictures and use them to further buttress your points. Your audience will blend better with pictures, placed alongside texts, than a long-form article, written without pictures. It will seem boring.
- Audios — sometimes, you could come up with interviews and statements from various individuals. This could be a form of content in your blog. It will help your readers understand your story better.
- Videos — this is one of the most important forms of content, especially in a news blog. Use videos where and when necessary to make your audience blend better with your story.
Whatever form of content you’re using, try to make sure that proper research has been done. Your image is the first thing you should put in place. Every wrong information you publish will damage your reputation. This is not good for your blog.Try to always bring out the best content. If you want your audience to come back looking for more, invest in great content, and make sure they are fit for public consumption. Click To Tweet
- Generate enough traffic
Would you love to spend so much time making researches, taking records, publishing news, and have no one to read it? I’d rather not.
In as much as setting up your blog and putting content out there is good, you also need to invest in traffic generation to your blog.
Your news needs to be read by someone, somewhere. It’s not meant for you alone. Take out strategic measures in making sure that your blog gets to a greater audience.
One thing that will draw the audience to your blog, is your content quality. If you always put out fake content, you will soon lose your audience. Don’t copy other bloggers’ works. Work on your own style and voice.
Here are ways you can build up your audience and generate traffic to your news blog:
- SEO practices — for your blog to be seen on Google, you will need to have the basic knowledge of SEO. When visitors search for trending news in your niche, best SEO practices, will make them click on your blog and dwell there. Learn how to use necessary keywords while writing. Optimize your blog and make it known.
- Social media — for some, SEO might not work for them. You can as well, resort to using various social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. Make sure you share your stories and tell your followers “what’s new.”
- Monetize Your News Blog
You will not necessarily need to focus on making money if you’re just starting. Keep creating valuable content, you will get there, with time.
This, however, doesn’t mean that news bloggers won’t survive! When you have gotten enough traffic, you can as well, monetize your blog.
There are so many ways of monetizing your news blog:
- Sponsored posts
- Affiliate marketing
- Google AdSense
- Guest posting
I have already written a detailed post on how to make money blogging. Check it out and see various ways to make money as a blogger.
Are you ready to start your news blog? Great!
You have successfully completed the wonderful guide on how to start up a profitable news blog. I hope you took notes.
I will be waiting for your questions and contributions, just in case you’re confused or need clarification. I will gladly leave my warmest response.
Like and share this post. Invite your friends and let’s make blogging an amazing experience!